The Shippensburg Borough Water Department operates and maintains the Shippensburg area water system under an agreement with the systems owner, the Shippensburg Borough Authority.
How to protect your water service line and meter during extreme cold temperatures.
The water system serves over 25,000 residents in Shippensburg Borough, Orrstown Borough, Shippensburg Township, Southampton Cumberland Township, Southampton Franklin Township, and a portion of Letterkenny Township.
The water system consists of the Gunter Valley Water Treatment Plant, seven storage tanks, three wells, two booster stations, and several pressure regulating stations, along with about 150 miles of water line varying in size from two to sixteen inches and the attached fire hydrants and water meters.
Sources of water are the Letterkenny Reservoir and three wells. Each source can produce between one and one and a half million gallons of water per day for a combined rated capacity of approximately 5.5 million gallons per day. Water provided for consumption is treated with Chlorine as a disinfectant, Caustic Soda for pH adjustment, ortho-polyphosphate for corrosion control, and Fluoride. The water is tested weekly for bacteria to ensure clean and healthy drinking water.
The first recorded water supply was in the area known as Fort Morris, that later became known as Shippensburg. This was in 1740 when Governor Thomas sent a 20-man garrison to the Fort. The settlement within the outer enclosure and the Fort had a dug well to supply their needs.
Between the time of the Fort and development of the first dam, cisterns were used to provide a more reliable source of water for the Borough. These cisterns provided a limited supply of water for the residents. It is believed that wooden pipes connected these cisterns to each other.
The site known as Stoney Point (on Furnace Creek) was found to have a spring of high-quality water. Land was purchased November 21, 1885, and construction of a dam began in December of 1885 and completed in1886. The capacity of the dam was around five (5) million gallons. Along with the dam, a pipeline was constructed to bring water to the Borough.
In April of 1886, the Shippensburg Borough Council established the position of Superintendent of Water Works and the first water rate schedule was established.
Between 1886 and 1904 a water source in Cleversburg was developed to supply the Borough with additional water.
Two (2) reservoirs were built on the hill above the current Scrafford Street (known now as the In-Town Reservoir). Water was piped into these reservoirs from both Cleversburg and Stoney Point.
In the spring of 1922 the Borough started to chlorinate the water supply.
In October of 1923, the Shippensburg Borough Council approved the purchase of a 250-gallon per minute pump to be installed at Indian Head Spring (Dykeman Spring) to pump water from the Spring to the In-Town Reservoirs. Before this purchase of the pump, a fire engine had to be used during periods of dry weather to make up for water shortages.
In 1926 a dam was constructed at the Cleversburg water source. This dam had a capacity of about one (1) million gallons.
Prior to 1933, the Borough purchased land on Trout Run, about 12 miles northwest of the Borough, between the Kittatinny Mountain and Blue Mountain, to provide for another water source for the growing area. In 1933, the Borough built a catch basin and intake structure to harness water at Trout Run. A waterline was run through the Roxbury Gap to Shippensburg by way of the Village of Mongul. Construction continued through 1934 and was a WPA project.
On September 12, 1950, the Shippensburg Borough Council created the Shippensburg Borough Authority by Ordinance #232. The Authority was chartered by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on November 20, 1950, originally to finance the sewer system. On October 8, 1957, by Ordinance #294 the Borough Authority was given the power to operate the water system. In April of 1960, the Borough transferred the ownership of the entire water system to the Authority, but continued to operate the water system through a lease agreement.
In 1960, construction was started on the Gunter Valley Dam and was finished in 1961. This replaced the old catch basin and intake structure and improved the storage capacity to 176 million gallons. The dam and water shed was sold to The Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) in 2003 and in 2007 the water connection was disconnected and shifted to the Letterkenny Reservoir.
Well #1, in the Village of Cleversburg was brought into production as a new water source in 1990, upgraded permit to 1.2 million gallons per day in 1994.
Construction of the Gunter Valley Water Treatment Plant was started in 1990. The plant was completed and began producing treated water for the water system in 1991, permitted to treat 1.3 million gallons per day.
In 1990 and 1991, new water storage tanks were built in Roxbury and Cleversburg, with a storage capacity of 0.5 each.
In 1992 the Borough Authority started adding fluoride to the water supply.
Well #2 in Mainsville, began construction in 1993 and brought into production in 1994, permitted at 1.7 million gallons per day.
In 1993-1994 a new storage tank was constructed in Mainsville, with a storage capacity of 0.25 million gallons.
In May, of 2001, Indian Head Spring (Dykeman Springs) was taken off-line by DEP order for needing filtration.
In 2003, the Shippensburg Borough Authority took over the water facilities of the Huckleberry Land Water Association, which included a water storage tank with a capacity of 0.1 million gallons and a Booster Station.
In 2005, the Orrstown Borough Authority requested a merger with the Shippensburg Borough Authority and was approved by both authorities. The Orrstown system included a water storage tank, with a capacity of 0.15 million gallons, and a re-chlorination building.
A third well located outside the Village of Cleversburg, went into service January 1st 2009. This source has a capacity of about 1.5 million gallons of water a day.
In 2012, the W. Edward Goodhart Water storage tank was constructed in Southampton Township, Franklin County. with a storage capacity of three million gallons.
Water System Operations Manager: Matthew Drawbaugh
Treatment Plant Operator II: Wayne Nye
Water Treatment Maintenance Mechanic: Mark Ryder
Well and Systems Operator II: Rick Kelley, Jr
Meter Technician: John Baker
Equipment Operator: Darryl Dubbs
Maintenance Worker II: Michael McGee
Maintenance Worker I: Bradly Kirby
This water tank is in town and holds 1,500,000 gallons of water. The water tower was built in the year 2000 and went into service in the year 2001.
This is our water treatment plant and it is located on the side of a mountain on the north west side of Roxbury along route 641. The plant is permitted to process up to 1.3 million gallons of water.
Roxbury Tank – 500,000 gallon welded steel storage reservoir.
Cleversburg Tank – 500,000 gallons glass lined constructed in 1991..
WELL #1 Upgraded in 2012, 1.2 million gallons per day.
Orrstown Chlorination Station – Upgraded in 2005
Orrstown Storage Reservoir – 150,000 gallon storage reservoir constructed in 1999 under the Orrstown Borough Authority.
Well #2 – 2 million gallon per day well constructed in 1993-1994.
Mainsville storage Reservoir -250,000 gallon welded steel storage tank.
Huckleberry Booster Station – Constructed in 2001 under Huckleberry Land and Water Association.
Huckleberry Storage Reservoir -110,000 gallon storage reservoir Constructed in 2001 under Huckleberry Land and Water Association.
Timber Hill Tank – 3,000,000 gallon concrete storage tank. It was constructed in 2012.
Engineering Diagrams in pdf file format for the below municipalities. Click on a Township/Borough name below to view the Diagrams in a Adobe Acrobat PDF.
Water conservation should be a continuing way of life. As a community we need to use water wisely. You can help save thousands of gallons of water every year. How?
Any registered, residential owner using Authority water and conforming to income limits established by the Authority. Industrial, institutional, governmental or charitable customers are NOT eligible under this policy.
An owner should give serious consideration to the use of his/her exemption opportunities. Due to the fact that the exemption applies to the individual owner and applies only once in a lifetime care should be taken not to use such an exemption frivolously.
YES. In order to be considered the one (1) time exemption, an owner must make application, on the forms provided, within Thirty (30) DAYS OF THE BILLING DATE. Application forms are available at the Borough Office, 111 North Fayette Street, or the Forgiveness Request Form link.
The program provides ONLY LIMITED FORGIVENESS of one Water bill. Pursuant to the guidelines established by the Authority, ONLY THAT PORTION of the bill which is THREE (3) OVER THE AVERAGE CONSUMPTION WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR EXEMPTION. Average consumption is derived from an owners last four (4) quarters of actual consumption.
EXAMPLE: George received a $500 water bill. His water bill has averaged $70 over the past three (3) quarters.
To arrive at the AMOUNT to be CONSIDERED for EXEMPTION, simply multiply three (3) times $70, or $210, and subtract from $500. Consideration will be given to any amount over $210.
In this example, George would have to pay at least $210 of the $500 bill. Depending on the circumstances, relief, in the amount of $290, could be rendered.
Residential owner can quality for a once in a lifetime exemption. The exemption applies to the individual owner and not the property address or billing number. For example, if an individual owns multiple rental properties, that owner must choose against which property, including his own home, the exemption will apply. Single family homeowners, without rental properties, using Borough Authority water could only apply the exemption against their domicile.
Water Service Rules & Regulations
The current fees for the tapping fee is $2259.00 per EDU. This was updated in 2015.
Material Specifications Manual
Water Line Construction Specifications
111 N. Fayette Street
P.O. Box 129
Shippensburg, PA 17257
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:00pm
View Site Map